Sri Venkateswara University (commonly referred as S. V. University or SVU) is a state university in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, India. The university is named after Lord Venkateswara, whose shrine is located in the city. The university was founded in 1954 by the then Chief minister of Andhra Pradesh, Tanguturi Prakasam Pantulu, with Siram Govindarajulu Naidu as its first founding vice-chancellor. The university campus covers a large area on land donated by Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams. It is located on the West side of Tirupati, surrounded by the other universities in the city, namely Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University, Sri Venkateswara Vedic University, Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences and National Sanskrit University.